Job Title: Certified Tumor Registrar
Location: Geisinger HIM – Pittston Med or GMC Danville. Potential telecommuting option for qualified applicants.
Department: Health Information Management
Work Type: Full Time
Identifies reportable cases, analyzes and abstracts clinical data, codes and enters information into electronic cancer registry database. Performs lifetime follow-up to provide cancer incidence, treatment and outcome information for quality improvement activities, administrative planning and marketing and research.
Utilizes specialized knowledge of AJCC Cancer Staging, Multiple Primary & Histology Coding, and SEER Summary Coding and Staging and technical skills to maintain the components of the cancer registry consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and accreditation requirements of the Cancer Program.
Reports cancer registry data to the state central registry (PA Cancer Registry, (PCR) and Commission on Cancer (CoC) National Cancer Database (NCDB) in compliance with regulatory guidelines to maintain cancer center accreditation.
Assists manager and partners with various Cancer Center personnel and participates in Cancer Center surveys to ensure accreditation.
Performs duties to support the goals and objectives of the Medical Center in its efforts to provide quality patient care and patient satisfaction.
Works under the supervision of the Manager, Cancer Registry.
Competencies and Skills:
- Demonstrates proficiency in coding cancer data using AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Collaborative Stage Data Collection System Coding Instructions Manual, ICD-O3, Multiple Primary and Histology Manual, and Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards (FORDS) Manual.
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately review, interpret, and abstract clinical information from medical records..
- Demonstrates and maintains 95% accuracy rate for abstracting, casefinding, and follow-up. (required)
- Demonstrates the ability to focus and review medical information for extended periods.
- Demonstrates high regard for self-motivation to work independently. Demonstrates the ability to perform as a team player
- Demonstrates initiative and promotion of positive interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing regulatory requirements and work environment.
- Demonstrates computer skills in a PC Windows based operating environment.
- Demonstrates strong written and oral communication skills, capability to work with various departments and physicians to ensure Cancer Center accreditation.
Education and or Experience:
- CTR certification with one year cancer registry experience required.
- Associates degree in Health Information Technology or other allied health related field preferred.
- Knowledge of ICD-10-CM coding system preferred.
- On the job training, up to six months possibly, to become familiar with hospital and department policies and procedures required.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Work is typically performed in an office environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Contact Us: email@example.com