Allegheny Health Network
Sign-On Bonus Potential and Work From Home Option
The Allegheny Health Network is comprised of eight hospitals: Allegheny General, Allegheny Valley, Canonsburg, Forbes, Jefferson, Saint Vincent, Westfield Memorial and West Penn; and more than 200 primary- and specialty-care practices. And we have approximately 1,700 physicians in every clinical specialty, 17,000 employees and 2,000 volunteers. Together, we provide world-class medicine to patients in our communities, across the country and around the world.
For decades, the hospitals of Allegheny Health Network have been providing people with exceptional healthcare, care that helps people to live healthy lives and care that we deliver throughout their lifetimes. We continue this tradition by using the latest medical innovations to treat our patients, gaining knowledge through research to constantly improve how we prevent, diagnose and treat illness, and staffing our hospitals with experienced, expert and compassionate physicians, nurses, technicians, clinicians, and support professionals who are dedicated to medicine, people and healing
Performs thorough medical record review to abstract medical information and code diagnoses and procedures utilizing ICD and CPT coding classification systems and encoder to meet financial, third party and federal/state regulatory standards.
- Reviews and interprets medical information, physician treatment plans, courses, and outcomes to determine appropriate ICD/CPT codes for diagnoses and procedures. (65%)
- Abstracts data elements to satisfy statistical requests by the hospital, health system, medical staff, etc. and enters all coded/abstracted information into the hospital information system. (15%)
- Acts as a mentor for others. Ensures efficient management of medical information and cash flow as it pertains to the unbilled coding report. (10%)
- Keeps informed of the changes/updates in the ICD/CPT by attending appropriate training, reviewing coding clinics and other resources and implements these updates in their daily work. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required. (5%)
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking and decisive judgement.
- Capable of working independently or as a contributing team member when necessary. Must be able to work in a dynamic and ever changing environment and take appropriate action to accomplish the goals.
- Follows Standard Precautions and/or other appropriate precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- RHIA, RHIT, CPC, CPCH, CCSP or CCS required.
- Expertise in ICD and CPT coding and reporting guidelines.
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology preferred
- Successful completion of college-level courses in Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology required.
- Minimum 4 years coding experience and cross trained in two of the following: inpatient, outpatient surgery/GI lab/bedded outpatients.
- Advanced encoder and computer skills required.
Instructions for Resume Submission: