PHIMA is a non-profit organization whose membership consists of health information management professionals employed in hospitals and other health care settings, educational institutions and businesses throughout Pennsylvania. Our members possess training in the principles of health information management and are certified and/or registered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
For more than 80 years, PHIMA has been a healthcare leader. We provide education and professional development resources to health information professionals and students while advocating on behalf of patients and the entire healthcare ecosystem.
Members of the Pennsylvania Health Information Management Association are committed to empowering people to impact health™ in a world where trusted information transforms health and healthcare by connecting people, systems and ideas. This is accomplished with our values of integrity, privacy & security and connectivity.
As a component association (CA) of AHIMA, our professional organization strives to be recognized as Pennsylvania’s authoritative body on health information management. In that role, PHIMA:
- Provides leadership in HIM education and professional development
- Sets and promotes professional practice standards, including those for electronic health records
- Advocates patient privacy rights and confidentiality of health information
- Influences public and private policies, including education of the public in health information
- Advances health information technologies, including those for electronic health records
- Leads efforts to ensure the availability, accuracy, integrity and security of all data related to patient healthcare encounters that result in better clinical and business decisions to enhance healthcare quality
- Spreads understanding of the HIM profession, including skills and competencies throughout the healthcare industry, educational institutions and other professional organizations