PHIMA is a non-profit organization whose membership consists of health information management professionals employed in hospitals and other health care settings, educational institutions and businesses throughout Pennsylvania. Our members possess training in the principles of health information management and are certified and/or registered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Founded in 1938, the Pennsylvania Health Information Management Association has been dedicated to promoting the art and science of Health Information Management and improving the quality of health information for the public welfare for over 75 years.
Members of the Pennsylvania Health Information Management Association are committed to the maintenance and improvement in the quality of health information for the benefit of patients, providers and other users of clinical data. This is accomplished by coordinating exchange of information for clinical, research, and financial reimbursement purposes, seeking constantly to protect confidentiality of health care information and provide continuing education for health professionals.
As a component state association (CSA) of AHIMA, our professional organization strives to be recognized as Pennsylvania’s authoritative body on health information management. In that role, PHIMA:
- Provides leadership in HIM education and professional development;
- Sets and promotes professional practice standards; including those for electronic health records
- Advocates patient privacy rights and confidentiality of health information;
- Influences public and private policies, including education the public in health information;
- Advances health information technologies, including those for electronic health records